Spectroscopy Since 1975
Metrohm Advertisement

Specac receives prestigious award for export

26 April 2018 | News
by Ian Michael

Specac has won the Queen’s Award for International Trade, recognising “outstanding continuous growth in overseas sales over the last six years”.

The citation reads:

Specac Limited is based in Orpington, Kent and has been in business since 1971. They design and manufacture accessories for spectrometers used in science and industry. In particular, they supply sample-analysis accessories, high-specification equipment using mirrors and crystal materials to direct infrared light. They sell to 70 countries across five continents, including the United States, China, Germany, Singapore and Japan.

Innovation in new product development is key, with a target of three new products a year. Export represents 90% of their sales and the remaining 10% is often exported by original equipment manufacturers. Export has been the heart of the business since 2008 when they first travelled overseas to actively manage relationships, visit trade shows and boost sales. With growth in overseas sales, total sales and percentage overseas sales, whilst turning losses into profit, Specac Limited wins the Queen's Award for International Trade for Outstanding Continuous Growth in overseas sales over the last six years.

David Smith, Managing Director of Specac says, “I’m deeply honoured that the business I’ve had the privilege to lead for the last ten years has won such a prestigious award. I believe it represents recognition at the highest level for a good commercial strategy, high quality in everything we design and make, and mostly, the hard work over a long period of an amazing team.”

Rodney Appiah, Investment Director from Specac’s majority shareholder, Foresight Group says, “To have been recognised for the Queens Award for International Trade is a testament to the dedication and effort of David and the talented staff at Specac. With the benefit of Foresight’s support, Specac has continued to innovate and refine their offering both at home and abroad. We look forward to continuing our successful partnership over the coming years.”

Jo Johnson, MP for Orpington, Minister of State at the Department of Transport, and until recently, Minister of State for Universities and Science says, “It is fantastic news that Specac has been recognised for its considerable contribution to international trade at the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise. This prestigious award is an outstanding achievement of which the company and its employees should be very proud.”

Specac are keen to place on record their appreciation of their key partners, both suppliers and customers, without whom this award would not have been possible.

Rate this Article
No votes yet