We hope to attract young life science researchers from countries of Eastern- and Southeastern Europe, but also Asia and the Americas, to attend and to meet their colleagues from other parts of the world, and to discuss new concepts of current and future life science technologies.
The following lectures will be presented:
- Introduction to biological molecules - structure/function review of: lipids, glycol-lipids, carbohydrates, peptides/proteins, DNA/RNA
- Fundamentals of mass spectra: base peak, resolution calculations, ppm calculations etc.
- Ionisation fundamentals (MALDI and ESI)
- Mass analysers: quads, traps, TOFs, ICRs, Orbitraps, combos
- Recent developments in Orbitraps
- Separation strategies: LC, CE, HILIC, fractionation (e.g. SDS-PAGE and TLC)
- Fragmentation mechanisms: high and low energy CID, ECD/ETD, IRMPD
- Interpretation of peptide tandem mass spectra including basics of database search